Answered By: APUS Librarians Last Updated: Oct 06, 2022 Views: 19091
WHAT IS A TRADE JOURNAL?
A trade journal (also known as a trade magazine) is a periodical that targets a specific industry or trade group. Trade journals in particular focus on one industry and provide in-depth information on trends, new products and other topics of interest to people working in that industry.
A list of general characteristics
- authors usually members of the field
- articles focus on current topics and developments in the field
- may mention relevant experiments but will not be described in detail
- may include a short bibliography
- ads geared toward the field
- include job advertisements and conference announcements
- While articles from trade journals are often considered scholarly, they are not typically peer-reviewed.
WHERE DO I FIND TRADE JOURNALS IN THE LIBRARY?
- Business Source Complete: An EBSCO database, providing indexing and abstracts for the scholarly business journals back as far as 1886. Searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,300 journals. Vendor Tutorial
- ABI/INFORM Collection: The database features thousands of full-text journals, dissertations, working papers, key business and economics periodicals.
WHEN SHOULD I USE THIS TYPE OF SOURCE?
Following are some of the ways trade journals can be helpful:
- Career Opportunities
- Conference Announcements
- Editorials and Letters to the Editor: Editorials will reflect current issues and concerns within a profession. These could be useful to a researcher looking for "hot" topics that could be further researched in professional journals.
- Product Advertisements: Advertisements in trade publications tend to be for products and services that are specific to the profession. For example, a police magazine like Police Chief might run advertisements for bullet‐proof vests or newly developed night vision goggles.
- Trends and Recent Developments: Trade publications will often discuss recent developments in an industry, occupation, or profession. A construction magazine, for example, will likely announce new projects that are currently underway in a particular city, state, or country and also announce which companies are involved in the projects.
Need personalized help?
Librarians are available 365 days/nights per year!
See our schedule.