Answered By: Coleen Neary Last Updated: Oct 06, 2022 Views: 112
A business plan precisely defines your business, identifies your goals, and serves as your firm's resume… It helps you allocate resources properly, handle unforeseen complications, and make good business decisions. Because it provides specific and organized information about your company and how you will repay borrowed money, a good business plan is a crucial part of any loan application. Additionally, it informs sales personnel, suppliers, and others about your
operations and goals.
Ten things to consider before tackling a business plan:
- Decide why you're writing your plan—what is your motivation?
- Do your homework—read some books, explore web resources.
- Compile your information—locate articles, financial statements.
- Start typing—write down all your ideas, notes, and questions in outline form.
- Write a rough draft—Flesh out the outline with full sentences and paragraphs.
- Do more research—support your case with data via Small Business Association contacts, annual reports, and competitors in the chosen industry.
- Think about the numbers—develop pro forma financial statements.
- Write a final draft—demonstrate attention to detail with accuracy and clarity.
- Get feedback—have someone else read over your plan and offer advice.
- Polish your plan to perfection—include a cover page, table of contents, nondisclosure form, and an executive summary containing highlights.
Searching for Business Plans Using Library Databases
- business plan
- business planning
- business strategy
- strategic plan
- strategic planning
For your research, you may want to combine these terms and/or search for variations of the terms.
For example, searching for "business plan*" OR "business strateg*" OR "strategic plan*" -- with asterisks in the second term in each phrase -- will find documents that contain any or all of the phrases listed above.
Find Helpful Websites for Creating Business Plans
- Bplans: Free Sample Business Plans Bplans is owned and operated by Palo Alto Software, Inc. is a free resource offering a gallery of more than 500 sample business plans
Need personalized help?
Librarians are available 365 days/nights per year!
See our schedule.