Answered By: Coleen Neary
Last Updated: Oct 06, 2022     Views: 28

There are various classifications for nonprofits or charities that are designated by the Internal Revenue Service as having a tax-exempt status.  The most general EO (Exempt Organization) classification is a 501(c) corporation, but there are also 501(c)(6) organizations and 501(c)(3) charitable organizations.  See the IRS link below.

While nonprofits and charitable organizations have tax-exempt status, they are required by law to file a Form 990.  Many websites allow you to search for these filings, see the links below:

Websites |  News Resources



Need personalized help?
Librarians are available 365 days/nights per year! 
See our schedule.

Email your librarians.

    Consult with a librarian (screen-sharing sessions).

Learn more about how librarians can help you succeed.   

Useful Links