Answered By: APUS Librarians Last Updated: Oct 04, 2023 Views: 434
New to using Nexis Uni? Start with this Introduction to Nexis Uni video to learn how to access and use Nexis Uni more effectively.
To explore state laws by topic, start with Nexis Uni:
1. Enter the library through the link in your classroom.
3. Use the Menu option to select Criminal Justice
4. Next, click Search State & Federal Statutes
- Select State
- Enter State in search box, e.g., Virginia
- Enter your search term; e.g., guns
- Select Find to start your search
U.S. State Governments will have a legislation or code site that can be browsed or searched by keyword. Click here to find the state you need: State Legislature Websites
You may also be able to find state laws already compiled by an advocacy organization or a published research paper. Try the following:
- National Conference of State Legislatures: The "Issues and Research" section contains many surveys of state laws; how much information about each law is given varies widely. The NCSL website also contains a bill tracking information and reports for a number of areas.
- You can also simply do a general web search for your topic along with the words “state laws” or “50-state survey”. When searching the web, be sure that you know how to evaluate the sites that you find. Below are a few examples:
- “Gun control” and “state laws”
- Guns and “50-state survey”
Need personalized help?
Librarians are available 365 days/nights per year!
See our schedule.