Answered By: Beth Cook Last Updated: Sep 24, 2019 Views: 136
U.S. state governments will have a legislation or code site that can be browsed or searched by keyword. Click here to find the state that you need State Legislature Websites.
1. In Nexis Uni, use the Menu option to select Criminal Justice
2. Next, click Search State & Federal Statutes
- Select State
- Enter State in search box, e.g., Virginia
- Enter your search term; e.g., guns
- Select Find to start your search
You may also be able to find state laws already compiled by an advocacy organization or a published research paper. Try the following:
- National Conference of State Legislatures: The "Issues and Research" section contains many surveys of state laws; how much information about each law is given varies widely. The NCSL website also contains a bill tracking information and reports for a number of areas.
- You can also simply do a general web search for your topic along with the words “state laws” or “50-state survey”. Examples:
- “Gun control” and “state laws”
- Guns and “50-state survey”
When searching the web, be sure that you know how to evaluate the sites that you find.